What's in this cocktail?
- Jade Leaf Teahouse Ceremonial Grade Matcha
- Japanese vodka (we used Haku Rice Vodka - but feel free to sub in your favorite vodka or spirit)
- Fresh lime juice
- Fresh strawberries
- Light agave syrup
- Club soda
- Ice (we made layered Labor Day themed ice cubes, but feel free to regular ice cubes)
Tools you'll need
- Cocktail shaker or mason jar with lid
- Cocktail strainer or stainless steel strainer
- Your favorite glassware
What kind of matcha should I use?
Tip: No matter what grade you use, don’t forget to sift your matcha to avoid clumps!
How do I make the layered Labor Day Ice?
Prep your fancy Labor Day-inspired ice cubes one day before crafting the cocktails! It will take approximately 6-8 hours as each layer will require ample time to freeze completely.
STEP 1: Use a large ice cube silicone mold. Fill the bottom of each mold with 5-8 fresh or frozen blueberries. Pour in your preferred milk over the blueberries, filling the mold 1/3 of the way full. Place in freezer until completely frozen (approximately 1.5 to 2 hours).
STEP 2: Remove ice tray from freezer. Place 3-5 slices of fresh strawberries above the frozen layer. Pour in cold water over the strawberries, leaving 1/3 of space in each mold. Place in freezer until completely frozen.
STEP 3: Remove ice tray from freezer. Blend 1 tsp of sifted matcha powder in 4 oz cold water. Whisk until frothy. Top off the frozen layers by pouring in a matcha layer until you reach the brim of each mold. Place in freezer until completely frozen.
Wet Hot Matcha Summer Cocktail
Makes 1 cocktail
- 1/2 to 1 tsp Teahouse Ceremonial Grade Matcha, sifted
- 2 oz cool water
- 2 oz vodka
- 2 fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 oz lime juice
- 1 tbs light agave syrup (or simple syrup)
- 1 to 2 oz club soda
- 1 fresh strawberry for garnish
Optional: Labor Day Ice Cubes
Makes 6 large ice cubes
- Bottom Layer
- 1/2 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup dairy or plant milk
- Middle Layer
- 4-5 fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Top Layer
- 1 tsp Teahouse Ceremonial Grade Matcha
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Add lime juice, agave, and sliced strawberries into a cocktail shaker or mason jar and muddle ingredients together. Add vodka and ice. Secure the top of your cocktail shaker or mason jar, shake for 15-20 seconds. Set aside.
- Make your matcha shot! Add matcha powder into 2 oz cool water. Whisk until frothy. Set aside.
- Add ice to your glass. Place a cocktail strainer over your shaker and pour cocktail over the ice. Add club soda. Then top off with your matcha shot.
- Garnish a strawberry (or lime wheel, fresh berries, mint leaves or anything you fancy).
- Pinkies up! Stir, sip, and enjoy.