What is black sesame paste?
Black sesame paste, or in Japanese, Neri Goma (練りごま) is a thick paste made from black sesame seeds that have been roasted and very finely ground. The flavor or black sesame paste is deep, nutty, and earthy, and the color is a rich jet black. We love how it pairs with the sweetness in our Matcha Latte Mix! Shop Matcha Latte Mix >
If you can’t find black sesame paste at your grocery store, you are sure to find it at your local Asian supermarket! You can also try making your own by combining black sesame seeds and either honey or sesame oil in a food processor.
What do I need to make this latte?
You’ll only need a handful of ingredients:
- Black sesame paste: imparts a rich, nutty flavor and amazing black color that’s perfect for Halloween!
- Milk: use any milk you like! Oat, almond, whole, etc. all work well in this latte.
- Matcha Latte Mix: our personal fave to use in this latte because it’s already lightly sweetened which pairs well with the nutty and bitter notes from the black sesame. Shop Matcha Latte Mix >
- Water: to mix with the matcha Latte Mix so we can make a matcha shot!
How to make a spooky sesame matcha latte
Making this latte is super simple and easy. Here’s what you need to do:
One: Add the black sesame paste to a glass.
Two: Pour in the milk of your choice.
Three: Make the matcha shot by blending the Matcha Latte Mix with water. You can do this with an electric whisk, bamboo whisk, or by shaking it in a jar until completely combined.
Four: Pour the matcha shot over the milk, stir, and enjoy!
For the full Halloween effect, garnish this sesame matcha latte with a creepy gummy eyeball, gummy worms, or dry ice! Have fun and Happy Halloween!
Spooky Sesame Matcha Latte
- 2 tbsp black sesame paste
- 1 cup milk
- 2 grams Matcha Latte Mix
- ¼ cup water
- Add 2 tablespoons black sesame paste to a glass. Add ice at this time, if desired. Pour milk into glass.
- Make the matcha shot by combining the 2 grams Matcha Latte Mix with ¼ cup water. Use an electric whisk, bamboo whisk, or lidded jar to combine. Pour the matcha shot over the milk.
- Garnish latte with Halloween-themed candy or dry ice, stir to combine the layers, and enjoy!
Lauren is a food photographer and recipe developer originally from southwest Florida, currently living in Boston, MA. When Lauren isn’t creating delicious matcha recipes for Jade Leaf, you can find her in the kitchen dreaming up unique recipes for her blog Lala’s Kitchen Table, or posting mouthwatering food pics on her Instagram @lalaskitchentable!