Makes 1 cake (serves 10) - approximately 3 hrs to prepare.
For the crepes:
- 6 tbs butter
- 3 c milk
- 6 eggs
- 1½ cups flour
- 2 tbs matcha powder
- 7 tbs sugar
For whipped cream:
- 4 c heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 1/4 c sugar
For the ganache:
- 2 c white chocolate chips
- 3 tbs heavy whipping cream
- 3-4 tbs matcha powder
- ¼ c powdered sugar (optional for topping)
1. In a medium pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Allow the butter to brown slightly. Set aside in a medium bowl.
2. In the same pot, warm the milk. Remove from heat before it begins to simmer and pour into the melted butter. Stir to incorporate both ingredients.
3. In a large bowl, whisk flour, matcha powder, and sugar. Mix in eggs one by one until it forms a thick dough, then gradually mix in the warm butter and warm milk. Continue to mix until the batter is smooth and lump-free. Chill in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes.
4. In a small 8" nonstick pan over medium heat, pour 1/3 cup of the crepe batter, and gently tip/rotate the pan to cover the entire bottom surface. Cook until the edges of the crepe begins to brown (approx. 30-40 seconds), then flip to brown the other side of the crepe. Repeat until all of the crepe batter is used. Cool crepes completely before assembling your cake.
5. Make your whipped cream! You can use an electric hand whisk and large bowl to make your whipped cream, I've been loving the ease of making whipped cream in a blender. Combine all ingredients into a blender and blend until the heavy whipping cream stiffens (about 30 seconds - 1 minute).
6. Stack crepes on top of each other, with a generous dollop of whipped cream between each layer (approximately 1/4 cup of whipped cream). Use a spoon to evenly spread the whipped cream across the crepe (be careful not to spread the whipped cream to the edge of the crepe). Place another crepe on top of the whipped cream and use your hands to gently press the crepe over the cream. Repeat until all crepes are used. Once assembled, trim edges for a cleaner look, if desired. Place in your fridge for 1 hour to set.
7. For ganache: Melt your white chocolate chips in a double boiler. Once melted, add your heavy whipping cream one tablespoon at a time and stir. Remove from heat.
8. Sift in your matcha powder into your melted white chocolate. Sifting your matcha is an important step to ensure your ganache is free from any large clumps. Allow your ganache to cool for 5 minutes before pouring over your crepe cake.
9. Pour your matcha ganache over the crepe cake and use a large spoon to evenly spread the ganache over the top of your cake. Allow the ganache to spill over the edges of your cake.
10. (optional) top off with a dusting powdered sugar. OR... if you're feeling super fancy, my favorite way to serve this cake is with a brûléed matcha ganache. I sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of sugar on top of the ganache and use a dessert torch to brûlée the top until its caramelized.
11. Take a gorgeous photo of your Matcha Mille Crepe Cake and tag us on Instagram. This cake is rich and decadent, serve thin and modest slices to your guests :) savor each bite and enjoy!