What is a granita?
Granita is a frozen dessert that originated in Sicily. It’s usually made by combining water, fruit juice, and sugar, and then freezing. The granita is stirred throughout the freezing process so the mixture doesn’t separate, and this also produces the fluffiest ice crystals.
How to make a matcha latte granita
Basically, we are making a matcha latte and then freezing it! First, combine milk, sifted matcha, and sweetener of choice. Next, pour it into a large baking dish, cover, and transfer to the freezer.
Using a fork, scrape the mixture every 30 minutes for 2 hours, until it turns icy and slushy.
When you’re ready to eat it, add cooked boba to your glass, scoop in the granita, and enjoy!
What kind of matcha should I use?
We love our Barista Ceremonial Grade matcha in this granita! The sweet, bitter, grassy notes really shine through in this icy, refreshing dessert.
Matcha Latte Granita
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup water
- 3 teaspoons matcha, sifted
- 2 teaspoons sugar, to taste
- ½ cup boba, cooked
- In a small bowl, sift 3 teaspoons of matcha; add sugar and water. Use a chasen (bamboo whisk) or electric whisk to combine. Pour into a baking dish; add milk and stir to combine. Cover and transfer to the freezer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, take the granita out of the freezer and scrape from end to end, using a fork and breaking up any clumps. Return to the freezer. After 30 more minutes, repeat this step; continue repeating every 30 minutes for 2 hours, until the mixture turns into fluffy, icy crystals.
- When ready to serve, add cooked boba to a glass; add in the matcha granita, grab a spoon, and enjoy!
Lauren is a food photographer and recipe developer originally from southwest Florida, currently living in Boston, MA. She is a graduate of the University of Central Florida, where she studied anthropology and humanities and cultural studies. When Lauren isn’t creating delicious matcha recipes for Jade Leaf, you can find her in the kitchen dreaming up unique recipes for her blog, or posting mouthwatering food pics on her Instagram @lalaskitchentable!