INGREDIENTS FOR MATCHA LATTE BOBA CUPCAKES
Here’s everything you’ll need to make these cute cupcakes:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Jade Leaf Culinary Grade Matcha
- Unsalted butter
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
WHAT KIND OF MATCHA SHOULD I USE?
We used our Culinary Grade Matcha for this recipe, but you can use whatever grade of matcha you happen to have on-hand.
WHAT KIND OF BOBA SHOULD I USE?
We’re glad you asked! We happen to have an awesome recipe for homemade Matcha Boba on our website, if you want to take these matcha latte boba cupcakes to the next level. Extra matcha is always a good idea!
Otherwise, a store-bought brown sugar boba works really well in this recipe also.
We hope you love these adorable matcha latte boba cupcakes as much as we do. Enjoy!
MATCHA LATTE BOBA CUPCAKES
For the cupcakes:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons Jade Leaf Culinary Grade Matcha
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk, room temperature
For the Vanilla Buttercream:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream or milk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the boba:
- ½ cup boba pearls
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners and set aside. Cook boba according to package directions and set aside.
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and matcha.
- With an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar, until light and fluffy; about 3-5 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla, and mix on medium until combined. Add the flour mixture and the milk, reduce speed to low, and mix until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cups-fill each about halfway. Bake the cupcakes for about 16 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with moist crumbs. Allow the cupcakes to cool for 5 minutes in the tin, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely before decorating and filling with boba.
For the Vanilla Buttercream
- In an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium speed, until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the powdered sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla. Beat on low speed, then increase to medium and beat for 2 minutes. Add more powdered sugar, tablespoon by tablespoon, to make the buttercream thicker if desired, or heavy cream tablespoon by tablespoon if you want a thinner consistency.
- Remove the centers of the cupcakes using the wide end of a piping tip or, cut out using a knife (don’t cut all the way through).
- Fill the hollowed out centers with the cooked boba, without the syrup. Pipe or spread on a helping of the vanilla buttercream, about ¼ cup for each cupcake. Create a depression in the middle of the frosting using an offset spatula or spoon, and add a spoonful of boba with it’s syrup.