What is Hojicha?
Hojicha is actually a roasted green tea. It gets its distinctive reddish brown colour which differs from other green teas such matcha, since the tea leaves are roasted over charcoal.
Because of the high temperatures during roasting, hojicha loses much of its caffeine content
Hojicha has a slightly sweet and smoky taste -- a little nutty, similar to coffee without the bitterness.
- 1 tsp Teahouse Ceremonial Matcha, sifted
- 2 tsp Hojicha Powder
- 4 oz water divided
- 4 oz warm or cold water, divided
- 8 oz milk of choice
- 1 cup ice
1 tablespoon Caramel Syrup (drizzled on glass)
Optional: sweetener to taste
- To a bowl, sift your Ceremonial Matcha and pour in 2 oz of warm or cold water and sweetener of choice (combine using a bamboo whisk or electric whisk)
- To a bowl, sift your Hojicha Powder and pour in 2 oz of warm or cold water (combine using a bamboo whisk or electric whisk)
- Drizzle caramel syrup on the inside of a tall glass
- Add ice to your tall glass
- Pour in your Matcha Shot
- Followed by your milk of choice
- Top it off with your Hojicha Shot