WHAT’S IN MATCHA SOUFFLÉ PANCAKES?
Here’s everything you’ll need to make these delicious pancakes:
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Jade Leaf Culinary Grade Matcha
- Baking powder
- Cake flour
- Lemon juice
TOOLS FOR MAKING MATCHA SOUFFLÉ PANCAKES:
To make matcha soufflé pancakes, you’re going to need a few specific tools to help you get the best results. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Mixing bowls
- Lidded non-stick skillet
- Rubber spatula
- Pastry rings: for cooking the pancake batter. These will ensure you get tall, rounded, and fluffy pancakes! Make sure they’re at least 3 inches wide and 1 ½ inches tall. Alternatively, use a small (BPA free) can with the top and bottom removed, if you don’t have pastry rings.
HOW TO MAKE MATCHA SOUFFLÉ PANCAKES
Let’s lay out the basic steps for making matcha soufflé pancakes:
STEP ONE: MAKE THE BATTER
Separate the eggs- yolks in a mixing bowl, whites in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. To the yolks, add sugar, vanilla, and baking powder. Combine, then add in the matcha, cake flour, and milk.
STEP TWO: WHIP THE EGG WHITES
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or with a hand mixer, add the egg whites, lemon juice, and salt. Beat the egg whites until foamy, then add remaining sugar. Increase the speed to high and beat until glossy, stiff peaks form.
STEP THREE: FOLD IN THE EGG WHITES
Using a rubber spatula, gradually fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture until no streaks remain.
STEP FOUR: COOK THE PANCAKES
Grease your skillet, place your pastry rings in, and ladle about ½ cup of batter into each ring. Place the lid on top of the skillet and cook on low heat until bubbles appear on top and they start to rise. Gently flip the pancakes in their rings by sliding a spatula underneath and placing another one on top and flipping quickly.
TOPPINGS FOR MATCHA SOUFFLÉ PANCAKES
Last but not least, dress up your pancakes! You can use maple syrup, butter, fresh fruit, powdered sugar, or whipped cream to take these matcha soufflé pancakes to the next level.
That’s what we call a happy Valentine’s Day!
MATCHA SOUFFLÉ PANCAKES
- 4 eggs, separated
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons Jade Leaf Culinary Grade Matcha, sifted
- 6 tablespoons cake flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Place egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer or a medium bowl and set aside. Place egg yolks in a large bowl and add 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, vanilla, and baking powder to egg yolks and whisk until combined. Add matcha, flour and milk; whisk until fully combined.
- Add lemon juice and salt to egg whites. Using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or a hand mixer, beat the mixture on medium speed until foamy, about 1 minute. Continue to whip while gradually adding remaining 5 tablespoons granulated sugar. Turn speed to high and whip until glossy, stiff peaks form.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently and gradually fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture, until no streaks remain.
- Grease a nonstick skillet and the insides of the pastry rings using butter or nonstick spray. Place the rings in the skillet, and ladle into the rings about ½ cup of batter. Place the lid on top of the skillet and cook on low heat until bubbles appear on top and they start to rise, about 3-4 minutes. Gently flip the pancakes in their rings by sliding a spatula underneath and placing another one on top and flipping quickly. Transfer the pancakes to a plate and repeat with remaining batter.
- Garnish pancakes with a pat of butter, maple syrup, or fresh fruit. Serve and enjoy!