This healthy homemade tonic is packed with a nutritious, anti-inflammatory combination of superfoods to make your tastebuds happy and your gut even happier!
What is a tonic?
A tonic, by definition, is a substance with medicinal properties meant to restore, invigorate, or tone the health of the body.
What is in sparkling turmeric-ginger matcha lemonade?
Each ingredient in this tonic is specially chosen for its nutrients and powerful digestion-aiding properties that may help with:
- Thyme: antimicrobial, mood-boosting, immunity boosting
- Ginger: anti-inflammatory, reduces bloating and gas, rich in antioxidants
- Turmeric: powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties
- Honey: antioxidant, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, anti-anxiety
- Apple cider vinegar: kills bacteria, lowers blood sugar levels, and promotes weight loss.
- Lemon Juice: high in vitamin C, aids digestion, improves immune function
- Matcha: increases activity of pepsin, an enzyme produced in your stomach lining, where it breaks down proteins. As a result, the digestion system works more efficiently and is better able to extract nutrients from food.
- Sparkling water: improves digestion and helps constipation
Sparking Turmeric-Ginger Matcha Lemonade for Gut Health
- 2 cups water plus 2 tbsp, divided
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 (2 inch) peeled ginger, sliced
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 tsp matcha, sifted
- 1 ½ chilled sparkling water
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine 2 cups of water, thyme, ginger, turmeric, honey, apple cider vinegar, and lemon juice. Simmer for 5 minutes; remove from heat. Allow mixture to cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, combine sifted matcha and remaining 2 tablespoons of water.
- To a tall glass, add ½ cup of lemon mixture; add ice. Pour sparkling water over ice, and top with matcha shot. Stir before enjoying.
Note: you will have leftovers of the lemon-turmeric mixture to make more sparkling turmeric-ginger matcha lemonade tonics.