In this quick video I show you how to make a perfect hot matcha latte WITHOUT needing a whisk, or any other fancy tools. The secret? Mixing the matcha by shaking!
Shaking matcha is super effective because it breaks up all the clumps and leaves a nice frothy layer on top (just like whisking does, but easier). It's so effective in fact that you don't even need to sift the matcha beforehand. Usually we use the shaking method for iced lattes, but this recipe allows you to use it to make a hot latte as well.
VERY important note, however, is to *never* use hot water when shaking, as it is dangerous and could cause an accident. Instead, just use room temperature water...the heated milk will be just fine to make sure your latte is nice and hot.
- 1 cup milk (almond, coconut, soy, regular, all work great)
- 1/4 cup water - room temperature!!
- 1/2 tsp matcha (culinary or ceremonial)
- 1-3 tsp sweetener (honey, sugar, agave, stevia, etc)
- Pour the milk into a mug, and microwave on high for 90 seconds.
- While the milk is heating, add the water (again, make sure it is room temp) and the matcha to a shaking container (I used a mason jar) and seal the lid tight. Shake for about 5-10 seconds until well mixed.
- Pour the matcha into the heated milk, making sure to get all the frothy goodness at the end.
- Add sweetener if desired, then give it a final stir with a spoon.