What Kind Of Matcha Should I Use?
We love our Culinary Grade matcha for these shortbread cookies. This grade of matcha is ideal for baking, and imparts a vibrant green color and robust matcha flavor. If you don’t have this type of matcha on-hand, a different grade can be substituted.
Decorating Mini Matcha Christmas Tree Cookies
Grab a tube of icing and your best holiday sprinkles! Get creative and add some sprinkle ornaments, or use sanding sugar to make a few snow-dusted evergreens. Top them with a sprinkle star and you’ve got yourself a gorgeous (and delicious) cookie Christmas tree!
You will need a few different items to successfully make these cookies, such as:
Stainless steel sifter: for sifting the matcha.
Rolling pin: for rolling out the dough
Cookie cutter: We used a smaller tree shape, but you may use any size or shape you like
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp Culinary Grade matcha, sifted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, matcha, and salt; set aside. Place butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; cream until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add powdered sugar; cream until light in color and fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down the sides occasionally. Mix in vanilla. Add flour mixture and beat on medium-low speed, scraping down sides as needed. Mix until flour is just incorporated and sticks together when squeezed with fingers.
- Turn the dough out onto a sheet of plastic wrap; pat into a 1-inch thick disc. Refrigerate dough until thoroughly chilled, about 2 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove dough from fridge and allow to soften slightly at room temperature. Roll out the dough on a sheet of parchment paper, and dust top of dough with flour to prevent rolling pin from sticking. Roll dough out to ¼ inch thickness. Cut into tree shapes; re-roll dough scraps and repeat.
- Transfer cookies to prepared baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to cooking rack to cool completely. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature, up to 5 days. Makes about 35 cookies.